2012年11月27日星期二

The surprise of black and white-------Maya Deren

  
                                                             Meshes of the afternoon
'Meshes of the afternoon' was my entry into Maya Deren, I first met in another course called 'Art of the moving image'. It was used to demonstrate the skill of cutting. I remember how I was amazed that such a black and white movie can have such deep meaning. I met it again in Linda's course again. This time, we focus on the experimental cinema. And I found myself involved so deep into it again. Although I knew the meaning already, however, it seemed that every detail in the movie drew my attention, inviting me to think as deep as possible.

 Introduction: Maya Deren

 Key words: All-rounder: director, actress, editor, photographer; Russian
 She was the pioneer in American independent movies in the 1940s.

After watching her movies, Deren's personality may be tough, but exquisite at the same time, through my imagination. Take 'Meshes of the afternoon' as an example, the lady in the short movie was not as obedient as the ladies at that time. I remember the scene that the lady took the key out of her mouth. I wonder if i can regard it as she started to search her own heart. What's more, hiding the key in the mouth may represent the occupation of the rights of her own. However, the lady finally committed suicide, which may show the sadness of the women of that time. In addition, I found that she was quite interested in the Chinese and Japanese culture. For example, the background music in 'Meshed of the afternoon' was Japanese. 

Other works:

                                          

                   Ritual in Transfigured Time

    Compared to the 'meshes of the afternoon', I think this one was a bolder attempt. What I love the most in the short movie is the gestures. Deren took the advantage of being a dancer. The motions were free but not out of order. They didn't need any dialogue, however, as audience, we know what they wanted to convey to us. What's more, the use of the freeze-frame is very splendid. It was like the time was under her control.



没有评论:

发表评论